Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Transition: Unrestricted World Traveler to Struggling Mundane Workaholic


 I've recently started living life out on my own, before I was living with my mom and sister. I've been trying to learn how to manage my life more responsibly, however it has been a rather difficult task for me. I've always been an independent guy, more or less, and I thought I could take on the world... But it has been quite the struggle taking on so much responsibility. I didn't really put myself out to a great start with my car loans and the trip out to Europe, not that I regret it. ;) 

The pressure of living up to the 20 year old expectations have been daunting. To prevent the stigma society has brought on for the young adults, we have been provided with the following options. (based on Utah views)
  1. Prepare for a LDS mission, an LDS mission is highly favored within the Mormon religion. 
  2. Attend College (preferably a University) with grad school in hindsight. 
  3. Join within the Armed Forces, to keep our country strong and proud. 
Now there is plenty more rare occurrences such as becoming a millionaire with some breakthrough business idea, or you could be a born prodigy. Sadly some of us find ourselves not following any of the chosen paths, and stuck within a mundane routine. That is where I am.

My life has become routine.
 I mean ever since my backpacking trip through Europe, my life has become rather dreary. But the routine is what bothers me the most. Quickly trying to make up for the time I spent saving up for my travels, which honestly was more time than I needed. 

Quickly getting myself into a 9-5 job saving up money for a life I'm not even sure I want to live. I think that's what makes those expectations so daunting. Not knowing the future is scary, but not knowing if it's a future you want to aim for is even worse. We're young and in our prime, and yes this is the most important time of our lives, because it's now that we begin define ourselves.
        
The fear has begun.

 It's never easy realizing that the pressure begins to weigh on you. Growing up we never realized how easy we had it. Anxiety begins to kick in and fear strikes with it's sharp sword. It doesn't help when you begin to realize how much responsibility you are faced with such as friendships ending, bills, homework, rent, groceries, health, the list could keep going but I'm sure you get the point.

Rocky Balboa couldn't have said it any better,
 "Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life..."
Life is tough, and we find ourselves stuck in deep ruts. Not always living up to who you wanted to be. However, life happens. We miss the curve balls thrown in our direction. Failing once, Failing twice, Failing thrice (it's a word google it!). But let me give the floor to Rocky to finish what should be said,
"...But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!"
Look nobody has a manual to how to live life the right way. The choices placed by society are mere suggestion. So keep your head up, lift your feet off the ground, and lastly... 

...remember where you've been!




No comments:

Post a Comment